One Month Away From Common App Madness, Students Should Get Head Start Now
Summer is flying by! It’s already July, and rising seniors are only a month away from college application madness.
While the Common App has already announced the prompts for 2014-15, and some schools have released their supplement topics, some students might be waiting until Aug. 1 to get started with everyone else. A word of advice: Get started now! Any downtime this summer is a great opportunity to get a head start on apps, or just prepare for the upcoming school year.
Here’s what students need to be doing this month to stay on track for a successful college admission season and school year.
- Some schools are releasing their applications and supplement questions ahead of the standard Aug. 1 open date. If you have the opportunity, get started on your apps now! Less that you’ll have to do come August.
- Get organized. Make sure your resume and all other application materials are ready to go.
- Set goals and an application timeline. Chances are you’re applying to multiple schools, so set a realistic timeline for getting started early and completing them on time.
- Continue your SAT or ACT prep. Use your downtime this summer to brush up on skills and concepts that you may struggle with.
- How’s your outside reading coming along? Pick one or two other books or publications to read this summer.
- Get organized! Update your resume and plan a test-taking and college visit timeline.
- Continue your outside reading. It will help you explore your interests and become more knowledgeable about a topic that you’re passionate about.
- If you haven’t already, create your resume and fill it with activities and accomplishments from freshmen year and the first half of the summer.
- High school is an exciting and life changing experience. This month, talk to some upperclassmen to get some insight into the ins and outs of your particular high school.
- If any of the clubs or sports you’re interested in offer summer meetings or practices, aim to go to at least one this month. You can learn if that activity is a good-fit for you or not.