We’re halfway through October and early application deadlines are right around the corner! For students applying to college this fall, now is the time to get on track and stay informed on the latest college admissions news and developments.
During this time of year, there can be a number of unexpected events that affect the college admissions season. Problems with college application platforms, weather, and more can deeply impact the admissions process without warning. We work to stay on top of the latest admissions news and developments in order to keep college bound families informed every step of the way.
Here are some of the latest college admissions and higher education news stories from the past week.
- Some colleges are extending early application deadlines for students affected by Hurricane Matthew. University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill announced this week that the early application deadline for students affected by the hurricane has been extended to October 23. The University of South Carolina has also extended its early deadline to October 23.
- The PSAT will be administered Oct. 19, and many students are preparing for the exam in an effort to gauge their readiness for the SAT and to qualify as a National Merit Scholar. What do you listen to and snack on when preparing for the PSAT? Kaplan’s survey found that most students like to listen to classical music while studying and snack on popcorn.
- Here’s US News & World Report about college expenses that many families forget to plan for. Read it here.
- Working on your college application essays? We spoke with students and gave some tips on how to write a great application essay.
- We contributed to a post recently, explaining why grades are the most important factor when applying to college.
- We can’t stress it enough: Keep your social media clean when applying to college this fall.
- Have you had the chance to read our October newsletter yet? In this month’s issue: Test Prep Tips for the Redesigned SAT, 10 College Application Essay Dos and Don’ts,
Freshmen: Plant the Seeds for College Prep Now, and Education Expo Guide and Checklist.
- Some colleges recommend or require admissions interviews as part of the application process. If you’re doing an admissions interview here are some tips to help you ace it.
Are you working on your early applications? How are your essays coming along? Tell us in the comments below!